Thursday, September 24, 2015

Disney Song #53: Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit


To Listen: Click Here

The Facts:
  • Writers: Buddy Baker (music), Scott Hennesy (lyrics)
  • Year: 1982
  • Key:  C Major 

Heard In: 
Kitchen Kabaret

Background / Personal Connection:
Some may think it sacriligious to put "Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit" ahead of such classics like "Someday my Prince Will Come" or the Mickey Mouse March, but I don't care -- it's my list after all.  And the lofty ranking is less about the song and more about a tribute to the great Kitchen Kabaret, the theater show in the Land Pavilion where the song was heard. The show's theme was good nutrition, and the cast of characters included anthropomorphic bananas, a pineapple, a broccoli with sunglasses, a ham and egg comedy team, a crooning milk carton, a seductive yogurt, and a drumming mayonnaise jar, just to name a few.  And the host of the proceedings? None other than Bonnie Appetite.  Does the whole thing sound a little ridiculous on paper? Maybe.  Did I love it as a kid? Yes.

The show ran from Epcot's opening in 1982 through 1994 (when Nestle took over the sponsorship of the Land Pavilion from Kraft) and was replaced by Food Rocks, a modernized version of Kabaret but with a similar style/theme.  I liked Food Rocks, but not as much as Kabaret.

Then in 2005, the theater was gutted and replaced by Soarin', a virtual flight over California (and a copy of the California Adventure attraction).  Soarin' is a good ride that is extremely popular (much more so than its predecessors), so I know I am in the minority when I say I preferred Kitchen Kabaret.  The show had character and soul, and the memories of the singing fruits and vegetables make me feel warm and fuzzy.  It also was more in keeping with the Land Pavilion's theme -- couldn't they have kept Kabaret/Food Rocks and put Soarin' somewhere else?

One piece of good news in all of this is that the show can be seen on video (this link is pretty high quality).  I just rewatched it and enjoyed the trip down memory lane.  The finale song is a lot of fun, and the Ham and Eggs comedy routine is a highlight -- those guys should be brought back in some capacity.

One other fun fact is that I still have a drinking cup (that looks like this) from the show -- the story goes that I was getting dehydrated from not properly drinking from the water fountain, and my sister went into the Land Pavilion and bought me the cup to solve that problem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment