Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Disney Song #75: Lambert the Sheepish Lion

To Listen:  Click Here

The Facts:
  • Writer: Joseph Dubin
  • Year: 1952
  • Key:  E Flat Major / G Major

Heard In: 
Lambert the Sheepish Lion, animated short film

Background:
That's right, I just dropped "Lambert the Sheepish Lion" on you.  There are many big names who worked on this cartoon, including famed Disney voice Sterling Holloway and 2 of Disney's original 9 Old Men.  The story is about a baby lion who gets inexplicably dropped off by a stork with a flock of sheep.  He doesn't fit in with the rest of the sheep but proves his worth and overcomes his fear by defending his mother and the rest of the flock from a wolf.  This Wikipedia article about Lambert says that the cartoon was a favorite of Japanese Emperor Hirohito (like I always say, if it's good enough for Hirohito, it's good enough for me).

Musically Speaking:
It's not a song that I'm going to rock out to or blast on the stereo, and it has a clear 1950's sound to it. Nevertheless, it's very pleasant and uplifting.  And if I remember it after all these years, it must have been good.  The song can be heard at the 3:47 mark on the linked video and again at 7:37.  And at the 7:27 mark, you can hear a classic Goofy holler.

Personal Connection:
I just rewatched this for the first time since I was a kid watching the Disney Channel.  I used to watch "Good Morning Mickey" and "Donald Duck Presents" -- two shows that aired classic cartoons. This one tugs at the heartstrings a little bit as we feel sympathy for young Lambert, not unlike the pity we felt for Oliver when he was the only kitten not adopted in the beginning of the subject of my previous post, Oliver and Company.  "The Ugly Duckling" is another example of a memorable old-school Disney cartoon involving the main character getting sadly left out.

Inclusion has always been a core trait of mine in that I never liked to see people be excluded from anything.  My friends have told me they remember how in elementary school, I would make sure that no one was left out of playground games.  Some of that may be nature, but I believe that at least some of it was nurture and all of the Disney shows that I watched at a young age causing me to feel more sensitive to others.  In any case, props to Lambert for rescuing his mother, overcoming his fears, and making the top 76 Disney song list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment