Friday, September 3, 2021

The 007 Project: The Man with the Golden Gun

Synopsis in 3 sentences or less:
Bond learns that he is being hunted by Scaramanga, a legendary assassin who uses a golden gun. Bond in turn seeks out Scaramanga, who has stolen a device that harnesses the sun and can make solar beam weapons. They have a final face off in a fun house on Scaramanga's private island. 

Memorable Quote:
I'm afraid I'll have to owe you.  ~Bond

Highlight:
Great scene where Bond and friends take on the 40 karate students in the temple, followed by the boat chase where he pushes the little merchant boy into the water. 

Lowlight:
For the second straight movie, the lowlight is Sheriff J.W. Pepper. I have to admit the part at the 1:02:44 mark where he recognizes Bond in the boat is mildly amusing, but they should have just stopped there and quit while they were only a little behind. Instead, they bring him back for an additional 8 minutes of screen time, which is 8 minutes too many and blemishes an otherwise good car chase scene.

Most interesting piece of IMDB trivia:
The body count of only six, including James Bond's one single kill of Scaramanga, are the lowest in the official film franchise to date.

Other thoughts, observations, and questions I didn’t ask when I was in fourth grade:
  • The opening is like Brainwashed meets Halloween Knights with a training ground for killers that is reminiscent of a carnival fun house. Also in the opening we see Christopher Lee (noted English actor), Maud Adams (reappears in Octopussy as Octopussy), anHervĂ© Villechaize (little person of Fantasy Island fame). 
  • Instead of Bond going all the way to Beirut to track down Scaramanga's bullet from a previous hit and analyze it for clues to his whereabouts, why not just analyze the bullet that Scaramanga mailed to them?
  • Soon-Taik (Lieutenant Hip) appears as the lead villain in MacGyver episode Murderer's Sky
  • Maud Adams's appearance reminds me a bit of Melania T. (I don't want to say the T word). 
  • The car spiral jump stunt was real and not a camera trick. There's a short video of the stunt being done a few years before this movie. 
  • One fun legacy of this movie: The Man with the Golden Gun mode in the Goldeneye N64 video game, where it takes only one shot to kill. 

Final Analysis:
I'm sorry this post is so short, but it's been like six months since I've watched this. This movie didn't do much for me, which might be why it took me six months to get the motivation to write. I'd still put it above From Russia With Love and Diamonds Are Forever in the 7th spot out of 9 on my list.

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember too many details but I remember not liking this one much. I do remember the car spiral and being impressed by it. I also remember Herve from "Fantasy Island". Didn't remember Soon-Teck Oh of "Murderers' Sky" being in it. Even though the collective stunts, gimmicks, and general plotline seemed good on paper, I didn't walk away from this one particularly impressed in the late 90s when I watched it. I don't have enough specific memories to know how I'd rank it compared to others in the series but it would definitely be in the bottom third. I'm surprised you rate this above "From Russia with Love". I'd rate that one considerably higher than "Golden Gun".

    ReplyDelete