Sunday, February 14, 2016

Disney Song #9: Tall Tale


To Listen:  Main Theme / Closing Theme

The Facts:
  • Composer: Randy Edelman
  • Year: 1995
  • Key: D Major

Heard In: 
Tall Tale

Background:
Randy Edelman is back on the countdown!  He appeared recently at #33 with Angels in the Outfield, and of course my admiration for his MacGyver scores is well documented in this blog. Soon it will be even more well documented, as for my next post I am planning on doing an Edelman tribute where I rank his greatest hits including his MacGyver compositions.

I recently borrowed Tall Tale from the library, having never seen it before.  I'm not sure how I missed it growing up because it's right up my alley.  The library copy was a VHS, and my VCR barely works but fortunately was able to muster the energy to allow me to watch this movie.  And I liked it -- it's a good, solid movie.  Patrick Swayze steals the show as Pecos Bill, and the rest of the cast does a great job also.  It is funny to me that they cast Oliver Platt as Paul Bunyan since he (Platt) is not exactly a big, strapping fellow.

As for the music, it's one of Edelman's finest which is saying something.  In particular I love the closing theme (linked above) which is heard at the end of the movie.  If that doesn't give you a pound of gooseflesh, then I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment