Sunday, January 10, 2016

Disney Song #15: He's a Pirate



To Listen: Click Here

The Facts:
  • Composer: Klaus Bedelt, Hans Zimmer
  • Year: 2003
  • Key: D Minor

Heard In: 
Pirates of the Caribbean movie series

Background:
Amazing, amazing piece of music here.  In particular I enjoy the soundtrack during the end credits of Dead Man's Chest (the second movie in the series).  I'm convinced that the transcendent music helped to make all the Pirates movies box office smashes, along with Johnny Depp's unique and charismatic portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Despite the great music and that I like Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom and am a big fan of pirate stuff in general, I actually don't care for the movies much at all.  I remember going to see the first one in the theater, and for the first half an hour or so I thought it was incredibly good.  But from the moment that the pirates were shown to be skeletons in the moonlight, the whole thing got weird and went downhill for me in a hurry.  I'm not always against magical elements in movies per se, but generally I much prefer the more realistic, non-magical elements (e.g. my least favorite part of the Indiana Jones movies are the inevitable supernatural scenes at the end). The second and third Pirates movies were almost impossible for me to get through (I'm not even sure if I've seen the 4th) and I have no interest in seeing them again.  Thankfully I don't need the movies in order to listen to the theme song whenever I want to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment