Synopsis in 3 sentences or less:
MacGyver is in Afghanistan to recover classified information from a downed satellite. He gets shot in the shoulder while being ambushed by local tribesman and Soviet soldiers, and he takes refuge in a hut with a woman and her young son. He befriends the boy, and they all escape across the border into Pakistan.
"American, if I had seen you, I might tell you the border is two kilometers due east. But next time, American, next time, I drop roof on your head." ~Soviet soldier
See Memorable Quote. Earlier in the episode, MacGyver lets the soldier go instead of killing him as the boy suggests. Then at the end, the solider returns the favor and lets MacGyver go. Nice symmetry there, even if one has to wonder why the soldier was allowed to be by himself after getting chewed out earlier by a superior. And then I like how they just walk away with no urgency whatsoever.
"You’re staring at me." ~MacGyver
"I just want to remember, do you mind?" ~Afghan mother
"Not at all." ~MacGyver
So much painful dialogue between MacGyver and women in the first season.
Builds a hang glider out of spare satellite parts in about 20 seconds.
Other thoughts, observations, and questions I didn’t ask when I was in fourth grade:
- We start things off with MacGyver flying a jet! Did not remember that at all. Who knew MacGyver was a fighter jet pilot?
- If the data capsule was booby trapped, why did he have to go retrieve it? Unless the Soviets had someone as smart as MacGyver who could defuse it. Doubtful.
- Uh-oh, he's been shot! Looks like we'll have to add it to the shot chart! Let the games of Dodge the Bullet begin!
- We're seeing MacGyver in full action-hero mode here. First he's flying a fighter jet and parachuting out of the stratosphere. Then he's hang gliding off a cliff. Now, he's amazingly hurling a rock with his left hand (due to his wound) and perfectly striking a charging horseman.
- I always check the cast on IMDB to see if there are any interesting nuggets. Turns out the boy in this episode is none other than Ajay Naidu, aka Samir Naga-Naga-Notgonnaworkhereanymore of Office Space fame.
- To treat MacGyver's wound, the mother pulls a hot poker out of the fire and touches it to MacGyver's shoulder which makes him pass out. They don't mess around in Afghanistan.
- "It’s very difficult to say goodbye to someone who means so much" ~the mother. How can MacGyver mean that much? He's only been there for like two days!
Here's a link to my script analysis where I compared the original script to the final episode.
I didn't remember this one hardly at all. It's not bad, but not really that memorable or enjoyable. It is good to see MacGyver in first season swag-mode. Next up we're headed to Season 2!